Sunday, January 11

Let me tell you a little story

At Rutgers University in New Jersey, there is a late night food vendor known as the Grease Trucks. They specialize in the ultimate late night solution to various substance induced hunger, the Fat Sandwich. The reigning king of the Fat Sandwiches, is the Fat Darrell. A Fat Darrell consists of golden deep fried mozzarella sticks, juicy chicken fingers, perfect french fries, topped with marinara sauce, and lettuce and tomato all on a single roll. Yes, that is 6000 calories on a single roll. Yes, I know how healthy these aren't for you. Yes, they are THAT amazing.

After receiving inspiration from friends back home with this video from Paula Dean (thank you JK). I spent the early part of the afternoon crafting sandwiches for my less blessed, non-New Jerseyan, Cali friends. Ingredients good to go.
Look at those fresh mozzarella sticks. Hot off the presses.
The first overwhelmed victim. Savoring the delicious-ness.
A true sign of a satisfied customer. Ben K. actually went back for seconds. He couldn't handle it alone and needed my backup. Of course being the good friend I am, I obliged.

For more history on the Fat Darrell, check out here. And for my specifics on the recipe, contact me. They are super simple, but slightly different than Paula's.

2 comments:

  1. oh the memories! i couldn't resist the fat darrell when making a late night run to the grease trucks with my students after a late night of programming when i worked at rutgers...

    i love that you are bringing it to the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of a Fat Darrell until this moment. (Another unfortunate circumstance of being from the utterly unimaginative Midwest) I have to say I am deeply disappointed that I missed out on such a masterpiece in my undergraduate years.

    Steak and Shake and IHOP have nothing on that sandwich...

    ReplyDelete