Monday, February 2

Fate

A sign of things to come?

Last Monday, I was standing at my kitchen table at 7:30 in the morning. I had just finished my very adult breakfast (read: cereal without marshmallows or artificial flavoring) and was ironing my shirt for the day. Yes. People still do iron their clothes. Crazy. Simultaneously, I was watching the local morning news. I was quite content.

And then it struck me.

It had happened.

I had become my father. Sure. Nothing else had changed. But here I was, mimicking my Dad's morning routine from when I was in Middle and High school. My mind was blown.

Fast forward to Thursday of the same week. I finally remembered to inform my Dad of my terrible epiphany. As I completed the story, he left out a very loud triumphant "YESSSS!!!" Taken aback, he explained that my younger brother had purchased some new clothes. Luke, much to his dismay, had picked out a new sweater that my Dad thought "was very cool". Luke was no longer excited about his new purchase.

Now, you may be wondering why my father cheered so loudly after my story and how these two incidents are related... Well in his mind, he had won. The ultimate win. Not only has he passed along his genes successfully. BUT he has effectively corrupted his offspring to the point of actually being like him. I have adopted some of his habits, while my brother (unfortunately) seems to have his fashion sense.


The corrupter of souls!

2 comments:

  1. I've been actively trying not to become my mother for years. However, I worry that I'm concentrating too much on not becoming her to realize it may be too late...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best thing I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete